Weekend blaze sparks reminder of prohibited fire season

A bush fire taking place at a Stanley Road address on Sunday has come as a timely reminder on the risks of lighting fires.

Ohope Volunteer Fire Brigade says it responded following reports about the fire at about 8.30pm.

Chief Fire Officer Mike Christini says when firefighters arrived more resources were called in to help -- with extra crews attending from Whakatane, Edgecumbe and Te Puke.

Mr Christini says luckily no one was hurt and the fire was able to be contained.

He's reminding us the entire region is currently under a prohibited fire season -- which means no fires are permitted.

Sam Gardner